TODAY’S SIGNATURE VERSE ••• Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever. (Psalms 136:1 NKJV)
PRAISE & PRAYER PROMPT ••• Goan!!! It’s Daylight Savings Time… it’s the one issue I think our entire country can stand shoulder to shoulder together and agree on: no one likes it.
I had actually forgotten about it being today. I thought I was getting up at normal time until I went to override the coffee maker timer and saw the clock. Ugh! I technically got up at 4 this morning, instead of 5! That’s just wrong.
And to top off the loss of an hour of sleep — we have wintry mix in today’s forecast. I stood outside in freezing rain this morning for 25 minutes, trying to negotiate with Audrey to go potty. So I’m sleep deprived AND cold.
The only positive to DLST are the memes. My two personal favorites:
- “The Princess Bride”: I’ve just sucked one year of your life away. Tell me, how do you feel?
- “Baptists are exempt from Daylight Savings Time. An hour once saved is always saved.”
Spring forward. Fall back. Leave the clock alone!
So where’s our spiritual lesson from daylight savings time?
I’m asking. Remember, I’m sleep deprived.
Let’s just do some points today without a whole lot of commentary:
- Jesus is the light of the world (John 12:46). Because of Him, we don’t have to live in spiritual darkness and in the squalor of sin. His light releases us from the chains of darkness so we can live in true freedom.
- God’s Word serves to light our way and give us direction. The Psalmist would write, “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path” (Psalms 119:105). We have the benefit of the whole Bible to serve as our life manual — as Paul would write to Timothy, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:16).
- We are called to be a light for Jesus. He reflects His light in His believers to show the world the gospel, and bring others to Him. In Matthew 5:14-16, Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
- And finally, no matter what the time is — God is good (Psalm 136:1). “God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good.”
Today, as you pray, thank God for these truths. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in wisdom and help you to be a light to others.
SHARING ••• My Grace-Full Life is written by Denise Heidel. You are welcome to share anything I write, but please credit my writing and graphics accordingly. Visit www.MyGraceFullLife.com to read past blogs. Subscribe through my website to have My Grace-Full Life delivered to your email. You can unsubscribe at any time. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture references are from the NKJV translation.