TODAY’S SIGNATURE VERSE ••• All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV)
PRAISE & PRAYER PROMPT ••• Our culture has a very subjective view on “facts.” In fact (pun intended), “facts” and “feelings” are, in some cases, interchangeable. Many people are motivated by emotions more than anything.
Even science. We have all heard “follow the science” — a phrase meant to promote “facts” (“facts” based on current assumptions, our limited knowledge, and until scientists discover something new that changes the current understanding of today’s “fact” — I’m really trying to avoid a raging rabbit trail here!) But “follow the science” is actually cherry-picked ideology, depending on the circumstances. Because if science is irrefutable, then how can people claim feelings as facts and deny facts that contradict feelings?
I could go on, but this isn’t really about political wokeness. It just provides such a strong example for my point… at some point, we all confuse feelings and facts.
The Bible tells us, “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9). Since our own heart is capable of lying to us — how can we trust our feelings? How can we call them truth? How can we insist that others embrace our feelings as facts when our hearts are so deceptive?
Answers: we can’t, we can’t, and we can’t.
So who can we trust? Where can we get our facts? How can we reconcile facts with our feelings?
Answers: God, God’s Word, and the Bible.
- You may feel ugly… but fact! You are made in the image of God — you are His creation and He hasn’t made a mistake (Genesis 1:27, 5:1)
- You may feel unloved… but fact! God loves you so much that He sent Jesus to die for you so that if you believe in Him, you can be with Him forever (John 3:16).
- You may feel your sins can’t be forgiven… but fact! Forgiveness is just confession and repentance away (1 John 1:9).
- You may feel you have no hope… but fact! Jesus is our hope (Titus 2:13, 1 Peter 1:3).
- You may feel exhausted from fighting and trying… but fact! God has promised to fight for you (Exodus 14:14, Deuteronomy 3:2).
- You may feel like you’re a failure… but fact! You have victory through Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:57, Romans 8:37).
- You may feel lonely… but fact! If you have accepted Jesus, He has promised to always be with you (Mathew 28:20, Joshua 1:9).
- You may feel uncertain about what to do or how to pray… but fact! The Holy Spirit will guide you and intercede for you (Romans 8:26).
Our feelings can’t be trusted. But our Heavenly Father can be. He has given us the manual for life through His Word. The decision that you have to make is this: are you going to take Him at His Word? Or not at all? Because fact — His Word cannot be compromised or changed or manipulated to agree with how you feel.
Paul wrote in 2 Timothy, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
We don’t have to rely on our feelings when the fact is — Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6).
Today, as you pray, thank God for His Word. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you when your feelings leave you confused. Ask Him to help you trust in what God has called truth, not the world’s muddied and distorted version of it. Ask Him to help you doubt your doubts and trust in Jesus.
SHARING ••• My Grace-Full Life is written by Denise Heidel. You are welcome to share anything I write, but please credit my writing and graphics accordingly. Visit www.MyGraceFullLife.com to read past blogs. Subscribe through my website to have My Grace-Full Life delivered to your email. You can unsubscribe at any time. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture references are from the NKJV translation.